Saturday, March 21, 2009

Overprotective, or just cautious??

Well, I was at my in-laws last Sunday, still recovering from the flu. If you can't remember, the weather was GORGEOUS. Addison and Logan had a blast playing outside. Kamryn enjoyed playing in the playpen on the porch. Well, in the backyard the kids have a playset. It is one of the big wooden ones with the swings, and a little playhouse up top and a slide. I don't mind my kids playing outside and having a good time, as long as it is a SAFE good time. I guess I am just paranoid that one of my kids are going to completely forget that they aren't on the ground and try to walk off of the ladder...or something like that. I could barely watch them enjoying themselves. I "joked" that Papa needed to drywall around the playhouse and put in some doors, one where the ladder is, and one where the slide is, that way, they don't fall out of it. Well, I was joking...but I wasn't. I used to work at a hospital and I know when I came to work at 6:30 in the morning, people would still be sitting in the ER from the day before, or when 3:30 PM rolled around, they would still be there. I don't want to sit in the ER all day with my kid. I just want my kids to have no broken bones...I'm also not the kind of mom that calls the dr for every little thing. Maybe I did when I was a new mom and we just had Addison. Now that we are on baby number 3, we kinda know when to call and when not to call. For instance, Kamryn had a runny nose, we didn't call. It got worse, and added a cough, we didn't call. She started running a fever, not sleeping, had the runny/stuffy nose, cough, and wouldn't eat...we called..she needed antibiotics. Logan, had a fever of 101...we didn't call. We alternated tylenol and motrin...it got better. The fever spiked at 103 and wouldn't go away with treatment, we called...he had a double ear infection. I think I know my kids well enough to know when something is a problem and when it isn't. However, I still have a fear that my kids are going to break their head...or something like that. Well, the dreaded happened. Logan was on the ladder of the playhouse, on the 3rd step...and...HE FELL...to me, it was like falling 375983 feet. I screamed. Everyone looked at me, I yelled at the husband who was sleeping in the playhouse. He looked and I told him Logan fell. JD FLEW down the slide and looked at him, saw that he was fine. Gave me one of "those" looks...and went back to sleep. I was scared. I didn't want Logan to break something, Logan is a tough guy. He doesn't cry much with shots. Anyways, am I just being cautious, or am I being over protective? I don't know. Does it really matter. My kids still have fun, it is just safe fun. Is it not? Anyways. Today is lazy Saturday...Just hanging around the house while the husband is working.
Kamryn sitting in the Barbie Jeep..

No comments: