Thursday, April 16, 2009

Today..

Well, today has been a hard day for me. Well, once I got the date correct, that is. I called my mom today and as we were talking, she said "Today would have been your Grandps's 80th birthday." I replied, "But I thought his birthday was the 16th." She said, "Nikki, it is the 16th."

I didn't forget his birthday, but I forgot today was the 16th. Since that conversation, he is all I have been thinking of. I have been pretty emotional. He passed away almost 3 years ago. It is still hard. I spent the majority of today thinking about the fun things we used to do. I decided to let the kids go play outside today for as long as they wanted. My grandpa used to take us outside all of the time. We (and when I say we, I mean my grandpa and my sister) would work in the garden, or do some kind of work. I usually got to sit out of all the work. I'm pretty sure I had my grandpa wrapped around my finger. He would say, "Poor little Nikki, why don't you go inside and rest." As if I was so completely worn out from eating my Grandma's yummo meals and watching cartoons. I know, it must have been all of that hard work playing school with my sister and cousins. I did all the work, because they made me be the janitor, or the cafeteria lady.

We would always walk down to the post office, and Grandpa would point out all of the houses and name who all lived there. He always told the best stories. He would also pay me to eat just about anything. He loved to joke around and sing and dance and just be silly. My heart aches knowing that my kids don't get to experience that, but I know he is in a better place, and he is no longer hurting. I'm sure he is up in Heaven giving God a run for his money!

All in all, today has been a decent day. I just miss my Grandpa. He would have been 80 years old today! I'm sure going to be happy to see him again in Heaven some day.

Happy Birthday Grandpa!! I Miss you!


On a lighter note, Logan has gone 2 whole days with no accidents in his "big boy underwears." We even made it to church and home again with no accidents. I am a pround momma! He is getting to be such a big boy!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

1 comment:

Lora said...

Very sweet blog, sister. Grandpa would be very proud of you from getting up from watching cartoons and resting to write that! ha ha!
Love ya!