Friday, April 3, 2009

Stress, Anyone??

OH MY GOODNESS!!! What a crazy week it has been. I can hardly believe that it is already Friday. I don't even know where to begin. Well, Sunday, Kamryn was in Urgent Care, she was okay, except she hadn't been eating much. She had only 3 bottles total on Sunday. She is a pretty good eater, and usually has 6 bottles + 3 meals. Well, Monday, was a bit different. Kamryn didn't eat AT ALL. This concerned me. She woke up late which is unusual for her, and had a wet and dirty diaper. Then, she wouldn't take a bottle, or eat food. This concerned me. I know a person needs to eat and drink to be healthy. I knew she needed to stay hydrated, but how do you get a 9 month old to drink something...YOU CAN'T. Well, I called the dr's office a few times and around 3 they called back and said that I needed to bring her in. JD met me at the dr's office and the dr said that she had lost weight. 1 lb or so. He said to try to get her to drink ANYTHING. We got home, I tried to get her to drink, she wouldn't, finally, JD tried some pedialyte in a sippy cup and she drank about an ounce. Well, Tuesday morning, I woke up and checked on Kamryn, she hadn't moved all night. I checked her diaper. DRY, which meant she hadn't peed since Monday morning. I spoke with the dr at around 7ish Tuesday morning. He said to bring her in at 8. I rush around to get dressed and get a diaper bag ready to leave. My mother in law came over to watch the big kids, and I drove in the morning traffic to get to the office. Have I mentioned that I hate driving?? Well, it sucked. We got to the dr, immediately got back to the room, and Kamryn had lost another 1/2 a pound. Well, she was barely moving. She would just sit on my lap and rest her chest on mine. She was puney. Well, the dr walked in and looked at her and said "I already called St John's this morning, let me write down some orders and you can head over there." Luckily the office is right across the street. I don't think I could have managed to drive a longer distance. I was in a panic. Well, I bundled Kamryn up and headed to the hospital. I got lost trying to get up to Peds. Well, we got up there and I had to strip her down to get a weight. She screamed. HArdly any tears coming out. She was one dehydrated baby. She had lost a total of 1 1/2 lbs in 2 days. I got her diaper back on her and just held her in her room until daddy got there. He went down to admitting and filled out all the paperwork. Then, the nurse came in to take her to the treatment room to get an IV started. That was terrible. They stuck her 3 times and couldn't get it in because she was so dehydrated, then they finally got it in. When the went to hook up the IV, the fluid wouldn't go in, so they had to try sticking her some more. Well, they got the IV fixed and she started getting fluids in her. She FINALLY drank some pedialyte and slept. She started peeing. You could tell she started feeling better. All Tuesday, she could have clear liquids. Wednesday, she got to start formula and solids. Well, everytime she ate, she would spit up, we ended up having to stay Wednesday night too. Well, Tuesday night, I slept in the crib with Kamryn. Where else was I supposed to sleep? They brought a pull out bed in there Wednesday night for me. She was slowly getting better Thursday and she finally started keeping stuff down. We got to go home last night. We got home between 8:30 and 9. It was so nice to be at home, in my own shower, and my own bed! Today, Kamryn is doing good. She has kept everything down. Addison and Logan stayed with Mimi and Papa all week and they finally came home today. It is nice to have my family back! Now, I just have to get back in the groove of things. I have laundry to do before tomorrow because JD leaves for Las Vegas tomorrow. Anyways, the timer just went off on the washer, so I need to get to it! Here is a picture of pitiful Kamryn in her hospital bed.

The white towel on her arm is to keep her from bending her arm and pulling out the IV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would consider changing doctors. In my opinion (got 3 kids myself) they should've at least admitted her for observation and given her IV fluids if they couldn't get her to take anything. A small child like her shouldn't have to wait around to get totally dehydrated before the dr finally says, "okay, bring her in for a look."

Btw, she's a cutie in her little hospital bed.